Sunday, April 3, 2011

Simple Things

My windshield wipers have been on my car for over two years.  This past winter, however, they decided to disintegrate.  For a few months I was driving around with strips of rubber wipers flapping on my windshield.  It was no big issue, though;  the weather had been nice and clear.

With the arrival of spring comes the coating of yellow pollen all over my red car, especially on my windshield.  So I go to pull the lever to wash off the windshield, and then I remembered my destroyed wipers.  Needless to say they didn't do to good a cleaning job.  But hey, I'll deal with it...

It has been raining steadily for the past two weeks, and here I am trying to drive down the road at 60mph, in the pouring rain, with practically no wipers.  I finally broke down and asked my dad for the money to replace them (I am, unfortunately, still unemployed), to which he gladly gave me $20 and sent me down to Advanced Auto parts.  Thanks Dad!!!!!!

In five minutes, I had payed for the wipers with frappuccino money to spare (Dad said I could have one), and they were installed on my car by someone who could reach over and take care of it.  I have never been so glad to see raindrops on my windshield before!  Gone were the flapping, scraping and screeching noises; gone were the gaps where the wiper was not present to take the water away.  In their places were silent, efficient, perfectly choreographed movements of the new blades.  Like two fluid ballerinas they flew perfectly over my windshield.  I was thrilled!!!

I know wiper blades are not hugely important.  They were a simple thing that I usually took for granted, until they fell apart.  But, I think the simple things can bring us the greatest joy:  new, functioning wiper blades; a tall enough person to install them; a dark chocolate Snickers bar; a Java Chip Frappuccino; my favorite song playing on my radio; and Zaboo keeping my feet warm at night.

Celebrate the simple things, and don't take them for granted.  The simple things make me smile!

No comments:

Post a Comment