Friday, April 22, 2011

HGTV Inspired!

So, as ya'll all know, I am a huge HGTV fan.  I drive my family crazy by leaving it on all day long.  Even when I am not in the room watching, I love just listening to the shows.  And no, there is nothing wrong with that!  All this obsessing over paint techniques, furniture arraignments, proper displaying of accessories, and wall demolition has payed off this past weekend.  Well, all but wall demo-we rent; but one day.... 

For eight years I have lived in my converted garage "apartment".  No kitchen or private plumbing, but a nice sized open space that was just big enough for one car and maybe a lawn mower; the downside was that it was crowded with furniture.  For a while I just tried to ignore it; the only time I spent in there was when I was sleeping.  Then I got rid of a lot of unnecessary things, which made it better but still crowded.  By now the claustrophobia was really starting to get to me.

Two weeks ago I had an idea:  move some of the larger pieces of furniture around.  So I started studying my living quarters.  I decided to leave the bedroom side alone.  There isn't anything I can do about that area.  I turned my attention to the other side of my space.  Years of planning, collecting, and dreaming had given me an assortment of furniture; you don't even want to know what is in the attic!

I measured my room and mapped it out on a grid.  Then I did the same to my furniture.  A very smart woman once told me to move furniture on paper instead of in the area.  Paper furniture is so much lighter.  I came up with a design that looked good, and then spent a few hours putting my plan into action.  It is amazing how much of a difference taking a small couch and switching its home with an armchair.  Pull the rocker next to that armchair for a nice, intimate conversation area, and perfection!  The room feels so much more open and spacious, the claustrophobia is gone!  Thank you HGTV!!!!!!!

I am in college for accounting, but after surveying the results of a few hours' work the thought of changing over to interior design did cross my mind.  But hey, I've only got six more classes to go.  I'm too far in to start over now...

2 comments:

  1. You forgot to thank the Mandy who did an awesome job at moving furniture with you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, and a special shout-out goes to Mandy for helping me wrestle a couch and air out a curtain. But I think she was just looking for a place to hang out...

    ReplyDelete