Wednesday, April 20, 2011

This is the Stuff...

"I lost my keys in the great unknown.  Call me please, cause I can't find my phone.  This is the stuff that drives me crazy; this is the stuff that's getting to me lately.  In the middle of my little mess, I forget how big I'm blessed."  Francesca Battistelli-This is the Stuff

So often we focus all our attention to the things that are causing us stress:  family, job, school, ...  The list could go on and on, but that would be defeating the purpose of this particular blog post.  I don't want to call attention to the stresses in life; I want to call attention to the blessings!

Just like the line from this adorable song, we so often forget about the many blessings in life when surrounded by all our mess.  Our focus is in the wrong place. 

What are my blessings?  Well, for starters, the same people I listed for causing some stress:  my family.  Don't get me wrong, I love my family!  They are the best!  And I am not just saying that because they will be the first ones to read this.  They are super supportive and much wiser than I.

What else?  My room.  I live in the converted garage, and I just redecorated it a few days ago.  Now it looks like one of those "luxury" one room apartments I see on HGTV, and I mean that in a good way!  All I need is a tiny kitchen and bath in there and it would be perfect.

Next would have to be Zaboo.  My spoiled-rotten kitty brings a smile to my face when she runs to the front door to great me as I return from the great beyond.  And while she abhors any public displays of affection, when it is just the two of us she showers me with love and purrs.  She is also a decent help with Accounting homework...

Don't forget about the little things, either:  hot water for inside showers, indoor plumbing, air conditioning (it is a MUST in the hot and humid South!), a fridge full of food, a car that has been payed for and still drives like new,...  These things truly are blessings!

"And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing.  Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable.  Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise."  Phillipians 4:8 NLT  Look around.  What are your blessings?

No comments:

Post a Comment